This survey was designed to assist the World Bank Group (WBG) in gaining a better understanding of how stakeholders in four Gulf Cooperation Council countries - Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman and the United Arab Emirates - perceive the WBG. The survey provided the WBG with feedback from national and local governments, multilateral and bilateral agencies, media, academia, the private sector, and civil society in Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman and the United Arab Emirates on:
1) their views regarding the general environment in their country;
2) their overall attitudes toward the WBG in their country;
3) overall impressions of the WBG's effectiveness and results, knowledge work and activities, and communication and information sharing in their country;
4) their perceptions of the WBG's future role in their country.
The dataset documented here covers Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman and the United Arab Emirates.
v01, edited anonymous dataset for public distribution
Coding schemes of output data:
- Single-choice questions: Response options are coded according to corresponding numbers in the questionnaire.
- Multiple-choice questions: When a response option is checked, it is coded as "1," when a response option is not checked, it is coded as "0."
- 10-point scale questions: "1" corresponds to the lowest value, "10" corresponds to the highest value. "Don't know" is coded as "11."
- Yes/No questions: "Yes" is coded as "1," "No" is coded as "2."
Opinion leaders from national and local governments, multilateral/bilateral agencies, media, academia, the private sector, and civil society.
Producers and sponsors
Public Opinion Research Group
The World Bank Group
The World Bank Group
From June to August 2015, 796 stakeholders of the WBG in four Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries (139 in Bahrain; 231 in Kuwait; 206 in Oman, and 220 in UAE) were invited to provide their opinions on the WBG's work in the country by participating in a country opinion survey. Participants were drawn from the Office of a minister; office of a parliamentarian; ministries/ministerial departments; Project Management Units (PMUs) overseeing implementation of WBG projects; consultants/contractors working on WBG-supported projects/ programs; local/regional governments; bilateral/multilateral agencies; private sector organizations; private foundations; the financial sector/private banks; non-profit organizations/community based organizations; the media; independent government institutions; chambers of commerce, academia/research institutes/think tanks; the judiciary branch; and other organizations.
A total of 231 stakeholders participated in the survey (29% response rate) in the four surveyed countries. In Bahrain, 40 respondents were interviewed.
Dates of collection
Mode of data collection
English and Arabic
ARA Research and Consultancy
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Public Opinion Research Group (The World Bank Group). Bahrain World Bank Group Country Survey (WBCS) 2015, Ref. BHR_2015_WBCS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [URL] on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.