The Country Opinion São Tomé and Príncipe assists the World Bank Group (WBG) in gaining a better understanding of how stakeholders in São Tomé and Príncipe perceive the WBG. It provides the WBG with systematic feedback from national and local governments, multilateral/bilateral agencies, media, academia, the private sector, and civil society in São Tomé and Príncipe on:
1) their views regarding the general environment in São Tomé and Príncipe;
2) their overall attitudes toward the WBG in São Tomé and Príncipe;
3) overall impressions of the WBG’s effectiveness and results, knowledge work and activities, and communication and information sharing in São Tomé and Príncipe;
4) their perceptions of the WBG’s future role in São Tomé and Príncipe.
Kind of data
Sample survey data [ssd]
v01, edited anonymous dataset for public distribution
Coding schemes of output data:
- Single-choice questions: Response options are coded according to corresponding numbers in the questionnaire.
- Multiple-choice questions: When a response option is checked, it is coded as "1," when a response option is not checked, it is coded as "0."
- 10-point scale questions: "1" corresponds to the lowest value, "10" corresponds to the highest value. "Don't know" is coded as "11."
- Yes/No questions: "Yes" is coded as "1," "No" is coded as "2."
Ilha de São Tomé and Ilha de Príncipe.
Unit of analysis
Stakeholders of the World Bank Group in São Tomé and Príncipe
Producers and sponsors
Public Opinion Research Group
The World Bank Group
The World Bank Group
From April to May 2015, 361 stakeholders of the WBG in São Tomé and Príncipe were invited to provide their opinions on the WBG's work in the country by participating in a country opinion survey. Participants were drawn from the Office of the President/Prime Minister; office of a minister; office of a parliamentarian; ministries/ministerial departments; Project Management Units (PMUs) overseeing implementation of WBG projects; consultants/contractors working on WBG-supported projects/ programs; local governments; bilateral/multilateral agencies; private sector organizations; private foundations; the financial sector/private banks; non-profit organizations/community based organizations; the media; independent government institutions; trade unions; faith-based groups; youth groups; academia/research institutes/think tanks; the judiciary branch; and other organizations.
A total of 290 stakeholders participated in the survey (80% response rate).
The results in 2015 Country Survey were compared to those in the Country Survey conducted in FY2012 (response rate is 63%, N=125). Data were weighted to reach the same stakeholder composition in two years, which allows for year comparisons. Stakeholder groups which were not present in both fiscal years were not included in the comparison. Respondents who belonged to the "other" stakeholder category were not included either. As a result, means of the 2015 data and the total number of respondents in both years are slightly different from those of the original data reported in appendices A, B, C, D, and F. For the weighted stakeholder breakdown and year comparison results, please see appendix E (page 99) in the attached report.
Dates of collection
Mode of data collection
English and Portuguese.
AGORA Consultoria e Servicos
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Public Opinion Research Group (The World Bank Group). São Tomé and Príncipe World Bank Group Country Survey (WBCS) 2015, Ref. STP_2015_WBCS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [URL] on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses