The World Bank Group Country Opinion Survey Program systematically measures and tracks the perceptions of the World Bank's clients, partners, and other stakeholders across the globe in client countries. The Public Opinion Research Group surveyed 29 countries in FY2012 (July 2011-June 2012), 41 countries in FY2013 (July 2012-June 2013), 42 countries in FY2014 (July 2013-June 2014), and 35 countries In FY2015 (July 2014-June 2015). In FY2016, surveys were conducted in 45 countries. Nearly all of the World Bank Group's client countries are surveyed in every three year cycle.
The Country Opinion Survey in Nigeria assists the World Bank Group (WBG) in gaining a better understanding of how stakeholders in Nigeria perceive the WBG. It provides the WBG with systematic feedback from national and local governments, multilateral/bilateral agencies, media, academia, the private sector, and civil society in Nigeria on:
1. Their views regarding the general environment in Nigeria
2. Their overall attitudes toward the WBG in Nigeria
3. Overall impressions of the WBG’s effectiveness and results, knowledge work and activities, and communication and information sharing in Nigeria
4. Their perceptions of the WBG’s future role in Nigeria.
Kind of Data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Unit of Analysis
Stakeholders of the World Bank Group in Nigeria.
v01, edited anonymous dataset for public distribution
Coding schemes of output data:
- Single-choice questions: Response options are coded according to corresponding numbers in the questionnaire.
- Multiple-choice questions: When a response option is checked, it is coded as "1," when a response option is not checked, it is coded as "0."
- 10-point scale questions: "1" corresponds to the lowest value, "10" corresponds to the highest value. "Don't know" is coded as "11."
- Yes/No questions: "Yes" is coded as "1," "No" is coded as "2."
The scope of the study includes:
- General issues facing Nigeria
- Overall attitudes toward the World Bank Group
- World Bank group's effectiveness and results
- The World Bank group's knowledge work and activities
- Working with the World Bank group
- The future role of the World Bank group in Nigeria
- Communication and information sharing
- Background information
Adamawa, Cross River, Edo, Enugu, FCT, Kaduna, Lagos
Producers and sponsors
Public Opinion Research Group
The World Bank Group
The World Bank Group
From April to May 2016, 520 stakeholders of the WBG in Nigeria were invited to provide their opinions on the WBG’s work in the country by participating in a country opinion survey. Participants were drawn from the Office of the President/Prime Minister; office of a minister; office of a parliamentarian; ministries/ministerial departments; Project Management Units (PMUs) overseeing implementation of WBG projects; consultants/contractors working on WBG-supported projects/ programs; local governments; bilateral/multilateral agencies; private sector organizations; private foundations; the financial sector/private banks; non-profit organizations/community based organizations; the media; independent government institutions; trade unions; faith-based groups; youth groups; academia/research institutes/think tanks; the judiciary branch; and other organizations. A total of 510 stakeholders participated in the survey (98% response rate).
The results in this year’s Country Survey were compared to those in the Country Survey conducted in FY’13 (response rate is 97%, N=835). Data were weighted to reach the same stakeholder composition in two years, which allows for year comparisons. Stakeholder groups which were not present in both fiscal years were not included in the comparison. Respondents who belonged to the “other” stakeholder category were not included either. As a result, means of the FY’16 data and the total number of respondents in both years are slightly different from those of the original data reported in appendices A, B, C, D, and F. For the weighted stakeholder breakdown and year comparison results, please see appendix E (page 96).
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
ECRWS, The World Bank Group
ECRWS, The World Bank Group
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Public Opinion Research Group (The World Bank Group). Nigeria World Bank Group Country Survey (WBCS) FY2016, Ref. NGA_2016_WBCS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [URL] on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.