The World Bank Group Country Opinion Survey Program systematically measures and tracks the perceptions of the World Bank's clients, partners, and other stakeholders across the globe in client countries.
The Public Opinion Research Group surveyed 29 countries in FY2012 (July 2011-June 2012), 41 countries in FY2013 (July 2012-June 2013), 42 countries in FY2014 (July 2013-June 2014), and 35 countries In FY2015 (July 2014-June 2015).
In FY2016 (July 2015 - June 2016), surveys were conducted in 45 countries. Nearly all of the World Bank Group's client countries are surveyed in every 3-year cycle.
The Country Opinion Survey in Romania assists the World Bank Group (WBG) in gaining a better understanding of how stakeholders in Romania perceive the WBG. It provides the WBG with systematic feedback from national and local governments, multilateral/bilateral agencies, media, academia, the private sector, and civil society in Romania on:
1) their views regarding the general environment in Romania;
2) their overall attitudes toward the WBG in Romania;
3) overall impressions of the WBG’s effectiveness and results, knowledge work and activities, and communication and information sharing in Romania;
4) their perceptions of the WBG’s future role in Romania.
Unit of Analysis
Opinion leaders from national and local governments, multilateral/bilateral agencies, media, academia, the private sector, and civil society.
v01 - edited anonymous dataset for public distribution
Coding schemes of output data:
- Single-choice questions: Response options are coded according to corresponding numbers in the questionnaire.
- Multiple-choice questions: When a response option is checked, it is coded as "1," when a response option is not checked, it is coded as "0."
- 10-point scale questions: "1" corresponds to the lowest value, "10" corresponds to the highest value. "Don't know" is coded as "11."
- Yes/No questions: "Yes" is coded as "1," "No" is coded as "2."
The scope of the study includes:
- General Issues Facing Romania
- Overall Attitudes toward the World Bank Group
- World Bank Group’s Effectiveness and Results
- The World Bank Group’s Knowledge Work and Activities
- Working with the World Bank Group
- The Future Role of the World Bank Group in Romania
- Communication and Information Sharing
- Background Information
Producers and sponsors
Public Opinion Research Group
World Bank Group
World Bank Group
From May to June 2016, 454 stakeholders of the WBG in Romania were invited to provide their opinions on the WBG’s work in the country by participating in a country opinion survey. Participants were drawn from the Office of the President/Prime Minister; office of a minister; office of a parliamentarian; ministries/ministerial departments/implementation agencies; Project Management Units (PMUs) overseeing implementation of WBG projects; consultants/contractors working on WBG-supported projects/programs; local governments; bilateral/multilateral agencies; private sector organizations; private foundations; the financial sector/private banks; NGOs/community based organizations; the media; independent government institutions; trade unions; faith-based groups; youth groups; academia/research institutes/think tanks; the judiciary branch; and other organizations. A total of 105 stakeholders participated in the survey (23% response rate).
The results in this year’s Country Survey were compared to those in the Country Survey conducted in FY13 (response rate is 42%, N=81). Data were weighted to reach the same stakeholder composition in two years, which allows for year comparisons. Stakeholder groups which were not present in both fiscal years were not included in the comparison. Respondents who belonged to the "other" stakeholder category were not included either. As a result, means of the FY16 data and the total number of respondents in both years are slightly different from those of the original data reported in appendices A, B, C, and E in the report. For the weighted stakeholder breakdown and year comparison results, please see appendix D (page 92) in the report.
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
English and Romanian
World Bank Group
World Bank Group
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Public Opinion Research Group (The World Bank Group). Romania World Bank Group Country Survey (WBCS) 2016, Ref. ROU_2016_WBCS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [URL] on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.