The World Bank Group Country Opinion Survey Program systematically measures and tracks the perceptions of the World Bank's clients, partners, and other stakeholders across the globe in client countries. The Public Opinion Research Group surveyed 29 countries in FY2012 (July 2011-June 2012), 41 countries in FY2013 (July 2012-June 2013), 42 countries in FY2014 (July 2013-June 2014), and 35 countries In FY2015 (July 2014-June 2015). In FY2016, surveys were conducted in 45 countries. Nearly all of the World Bank Group's client countries are surveyed in every three year cycle.
The Country Opinion Survey in Thailand assists the World Bank Group (WBG) in gaining a better understanding of how stakeholders in Thailand perceive the WBG. It provides the WBG with systematic feedback from national and local governments, multilateral/bilateral agencies, media, academia, the private sector, and civil society in Thailand on:
1) Their views regarding the general environment in Thailand;
2) Their overall attitudes toward the WBG in Thailand;
3) Overall impressions of the WBG’s effectiveness and results, knowledge work and activities, and communication and information sharing in Thailand; and
4) Their perceptions of the WBG’s future role in Thailand.
Kind of Data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Unit of Analysis
Stakeholders of the World Bank Group in Thailand.
v01, edited anonymous dataset for public distribution
Coding schemes of output data:
- Single-choice questions: Response options are coded according to corresponding numbers in the questionnaire.
- Multiple-choice questions: When a response option is checked, it is coded as "1," when a response option is not checked, it is coded as "0."
- 10-point scale questions: "1" corresponds to the lowest value, "10" corresponds to the highest value. "Don't know" is coded as "11."
- Yes/No questions: "Yes" is coded as "1," "No" is coded as "2."
The scope of the study includes:
- General Issues Facing Thailand
- Overall Attitudes toward the World Bank
- World Bank’s Effectiveness and Results
- The World Bank Group’s Knowledge Work and Activities
- Working with the World Bank
- The Future Role of the World Bank in Thailand
- Communication and Information Sharing
- Background Information
Bangkok and vicinity, Northern Thailand, Southern Thailand, North East Thailand and Central Thailand.
Opinion leaders from national and local governments, multilateral/bilateral agencies, media, academia, the private sector, and civil society.
Producers and sponsors
Public Opinion Research Group
World Bank Group
World Bank Group
From June to August 2016, 476 stakeholders of the WB in Thailand were invited to provide their opinions on the WBG’s work in the country by participating in a country opinion survey. Participants were drawn from the Office of Prime Minister; office of a parliamentarian; ministries/ministerial departments/implementation agencies; Project Management Units (PMUs) overseeing implementation of WBG projects; consultants/contractors working on WBG-supported projects/programs; local governments; bilateral/multilateral agencies; private sector organizations; private foundations; the financial sector/private banks; civil society organizations; community based organizations; the media; independent government institutions; trade unions; faith-based groups; academia/research institutes/think tanks; the judiciary branch; and other organizations. A total of 108 stakeholders participated in the survey (23% response rate).
The results in this year’s Country Survey were compared to those in the Country Survey conducted in FY’13 (response rate was 35%, N=110). Data were weighted to reach the same stakeholder composition in two years, which allows for year comparisons. Stakeholder groups which were not present in both fiscal years were not included in the comparison. Respondents who belonged to the “other” stakeholder category were not included either. As a result, mean ratings, percentages of respondents, and the total number of respondents in both years are slightly different from those of the original data reported in the FY’13 COS report and the non-weighted data presented in appendices A, B, C, D, and F. For the weighted stakeholder breakdown and year comparison results, please refer to Appendix E (Report, page 77) in the Related Materials.
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
Data Collection Notes
Email and online (Qualtrics)
The Nielsen Company
The questionnaire is in English and Thai. All versions are provided as related materials.
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Public Opinion Research Group (The World Bank Group). Thailand World Bank Group Country Survey (WBCS) 2016, Ref. THA_2016_WBCS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [url] on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.
DDI Document ID
Development Data Group
The World Bank Group
External and Corporate Relations - Web and Social Media