The Country Opinion Survey in Mozambique assists the World Bank Group (WBG) in gaining a better understanding of how stakeholders in Mozambique perceive the WBG. It provides the WBG with systematic feedback from national and local governments, multilateral/bilateral agencies, media, academia, the private sector, and civil society in Mozambique on:
1) Their views regarding the general environment in Mozambique;
2) Their overall attitudes toward the WBG in Mozambique;
3) Overall impressions of the WBG's effectiveness and results, knowledge work and activities, and communication and information sharing in Mozambique; and
4) Their perceptions of the WBG's future role in Mozambique.
Kind of data
Sample survey data [ssd]
v01, edited anonymous dataset for public distribution
Coding schemes of output data:
- Single-choice questions: Response options are coded according to corresponding numbers in the questionnaire.
- Multiple-choice questions: When a response option is checked, it is coded as "1," when a response option is not checked, it is coded as "0."
- 10-point scale questions: "1" corresponds to the lowest value, "10" corresponds to the highest value. "Don't know" is coded as "11."
- Yes/No questions: "Yes" is coded as "1," "No" is coded as "2."
North, Center and South.
Unit of analysis
Stakeholders of the World Bank Group in Mozambique.
Opinion leaders from national and local governments, multilateral/bilateral agencies, media, academia, the private sector, and civil society.
Producers and sponsors
Public Opinion Research Group
World Bank Group
World Bank Group
From May to July 2018, 315 stakeholders of the WBG in Mozambique were invited to provide their opinions on the WBG’s work in the country by participating in a Country Opinion Survey. Participants were drawn from the Office of the President, Prime Minister; office of a Minister; office of a Parliamentarian; ministries/ministerial departments/implementation agencies; Project Management Units (PMUs) overseeing implementation of WBG projects; consultants/ contractors working on WBG-supported projects/programs; local governments; bilateral and multilateral agencies; private sector organizations; private foundations; the financial sector/ private banks; NGOs and community-based organizations; the media; independent government institutions; trade unions; faith-based groups; youth groups; academia/research institutes/think tanks; the judiciary branch; and other organizations.
The results in this year's Country Survey were compared to those in the Country Survey conducted in FY'14 (response rate was 59%, N=180). Data were weighted to reach the same stakeholder composition in both years, which allows for year comparisons. Stakeholder groups which were not present in both fiscal years were not included in the comparison. Respondents who belonged to the “other” stakeholder category were not included either. As a result, mean ratings, percentages of respondents, and the total number of respondents in both years are slightly different from those of the original data reported in the FY'14 COS report and the non-weighted data presented in appendices A, B, C, and E. For the weighted stakeholder breakdown and year comparison results, please refer to Appendix D (Report, page 97) in the Related Materials.
Dates of collection
Mode of data collection
The questionnaire is in English and Portuguese. The English version is provided as related material.
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Public Opinion Research Group (The World Bank Group). Mozambique - World Bank Group Country Survey (WBCS) 2018, Ref. MOZ_2018_WBCS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [url] on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.