The main objective of this study is to collect evidence that allows to improve the understanding of the phenomenon of internal displacement in Honduras, know the magnitude and the impact, promote the design of the institutional and legal framework to strengthen the response to this problem in the country.
On In this sense, the objectives of the study are the following:
- Estimate the population affected by displacement internal at the national level, with disaggregated information by gender and age, as well as geographically.
- Identify updated profiles of the population displaced and at risk, including, among others, the characterization by gender identity and origin ethnic.
- Delve into the causes and perpetrators of internal displacement.
- Analyze, from a comparative point of view with the rest of the population, the situation of the population internally displaced including their socioeconomic status, living conditions, protection needs.
- Identify needs, vulnerabilities, capacities and mechanisms to protect the displaced population and at risk.
Kind of Data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Unit of Analysis
Household and individual.
v2.1: Edited, cleaned and anonymised data.
The scope of the survey includes:
- household and individual demographics
- dwelling characteristics
- food security
- safety and risks
Health and Nutrition
Livelihood & Social cohesion
Internally Displaced People
Producers and sponsors
Comisión Interinstitucional para la Protección de las Personas Desplazadas Internamente por la Violencia
Secretaría de Derechos Humanos
Instituto Nacional de Estadística
Secretaría de Desarrollo e Inclusión Social
Secretaría de Seguridad
Centro de Investigación y Promoción de los Derechos Humanos
Comisionado Nacional de los Derechos Humanos
The survey's objective was to deliver representative data of Honduras households affected by internal displacement at national level. For this survey a stratified sample design was applied to take into account that the distribution of the displaced population is more concentrated in certain geographical areas of the country. The total population at the time of the survey was estimated at around 58,500 households. The total sample size was 1,673 refugee households.
Weights were calculated for each stratum independently according to the selection probabilities of the sample design (total size of each stratum over sample size)
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
Instituto Nacional de Estadística
The questionnaire included the following sections: household characteristics, dwelling, livelihoods, incidents and displacement, individual characteristics.
Comisión Interinstitucional para la Protección de las Personas Desplazadas Internamente por la Violencia, Secretaría de Derechos Humanos, UNHCR, JIPS (2018). Honduras: Internal displacement profiling, 2018. Accessed from: https://microdata.unhcr.org
Archive where study is originally stored
United Nations Refugee Agency Microdata Library
Original Archive Study ID: UNHCR_HND_2018_PROFILING_v2.1
DDI Document ID
UN Refugee Agency
Development Data Group
Metadata adapted for World Bank Microdata Library
Date of Metadata Production
DDI Document version
Version 1 (December 2022). This version is identical to UNHCR DDI ID: UNHCR_HND_2018_PROFILING_v2.1, except the following edits were made:
-Document ID and Survey ID,
- Minor formatting corrections
- Specified the archive where study is originally stored