H22 What is the MAIN source of the household's livelihood?
 1 Subsistence farming
 2 Employment income
 3 Business enterprise
 4 Cottage industry
 5 Property income
 6 Family support
 7 World food program support
 8 Other (specify)
World food programme support
NIU (not in universe)
Warning: these figures indicate the number of cases found in the data file. They cannot be interpreted as summary statistics of the population of interest.
Question H22: Source of Livelihood for the Household?
Ask, "What is the main source of livelihood for the Household?"
254. The main source of the Household's livelihood may be difficult to decide, for there may be many Household members, engaged in different activities and hence different sources of income. Very often, however, the answer will be clear from the information you have already recorded and from what you have heard in the course of the interview.
255. Circle the code of the main source of the Households livelihood. If it is not clear what the main source is, you will have to probe in order to decide on the one the members of the Household consider most important. 256. The following notes may help you:
1. Subsistence farming - includes traditional agriculture, livestock rearing or herding, fishing, hunting and gathering. They may sell some produce but do not produce mainly for sale.
2. Employment income - includes Households mainly relying on income earned by members who are employed or who receive pensions.
3. Business Enterprise - includes such activities as operating market stalls, kiosks, selling food items, trading in second hand goods, and hawking etc.
4. Cottage industry - includes those Households involved in small scale industries. These are usually Household based, backyard in nature and mainly informal.
5. Property income - this is income in the form of rent from any property e.g land, houses, etc.
6. Family support - includes Households relying mainly on remittances in cash or kind from relatives or others living elsewhere.
7. Others - If the Household relies mainly on some other source of livelihood - for example, charity, relief or begging - describe it and circle the code marked "other".
This variable indicates the household's main source of livelihood.