Guyana Investment Climate Survey was carried out between November 2004 and March 2005. 163 manufacturing firms were surveyed.
The Investment Climate Surveys (ICS) were conducted by the World Bank and its partners across all geographic regions and covered firms of all sizes in many industries. The ICS collected a wide array of qualitative and quantitative information through face-to-face interviews with managers and owners regarding the investment climate in their country and the productivity of their firms. Topics covered in the ICS included the obstacles to doing business, infrastructure, finance, labor, corruption and regulation, contract enforcement, law and order, innovation and technology, and firm productivity. Taken together, the qualitative and quantitative data helped connect country’s investment climate characteristics with firm productivity and performance.
Firm-level surveys have been administered since 1998 by different units within the World Bank. Since 2005-06, most data collection efforts have been centralized within the Enterprise Analysis Unit (FPDEA). Enterprise Surveys, a replacement for Investment Climate Surveys, are now conducted by the Enterprise Analysis Unit.
Kind of data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Producers and sponsors
The study was conducted using stratified random sampling. About 20 percent of the firms surveyed were located inside of the capital city, Georgetown, with the remaining 80 percent located outside of the capital. The Guyana ICS sample was drawn from six sectors - food, wood, garments, textiles, chemicals and mining and quarrying. Of the firms covered in the survey, 69 percent are non-exporters and 91 percent of the firms are domestically owned. After determining the sample size at the sector level, the sample was stratified by location, size range, capacity and quality control. The final sample includes micro and small (46 percent of the sample), medium (36 percent), and large firms (18 percent). The following classification for firm size by number of full-time workers was used: large (50+ workers); medium (15-49), small and micro (<15).
Dates of collection
Mode of data collection
The following survey instrument is available:
- Productivity and the Investment Climate Private Enterprise Survey.
Confidentiality of the survey respondents and the sensitive information they provide is necessary to ensure the greatest degree of survey participation, integrity and confidence in the quality of the data. Surveys are usually carried out in cooperation with business organizations and government agencies promoting job creation and economic growth, but confidentiality is never compromised.
Firm-level data is available to the public free-of-charge. In order to access the data, users must agree to abide by a strict confidentiality agreement available through Enterprise Analysis Unit website by clicking on "External users register here" at https://www.enterprisesurveys.org/Portal
Where necessary please site the source as "Enterprise Analysis Unit - World Bank Group https://www.enterprisesurveys.org"
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.