The principal focus of the survey is an issue of interest to us all - the welfare level of Tajik individuals and households. The survey data will be used in analyses to determine what proportion of Tajiks are unable to meet their basic needs to enjoy an adequate standard of living and are living in poverty. These studies will also consider what accounts for some households being able to attain and sustain such a standard of living and what might be done to assist those households and individuals now living in poverty to escape poverty. The information collected in the TLSS09 also will be used in a range of other studies, including examining employment, health, nutritional status, agriculture, as well as better understanding how households respond to changes in the macroeconomic environment. As you will learn, the data collected using the TLSS09 is particularly rich because it integrates such a wide range of aspects of household and individual characteristics.
Kind of data
Sample survey data [ssd]
National coverage; the sample is representative at the national, regional level (4 regions and Dushanbe), and urban/rural
Producers and sponsors
State Statistical Agency
Sample size is 1,500 households
Dates of collection
Mode of data collection
The questionnaire for the survey was developed in English and then translated into Tajik and Russian. During the translation process, there were some questions which were not translated completely or in which the response options were not translated complete.
The data from the TLSS09 can be matched to the data from the TLSS07 in the following way. The variables “psuid” and “hhuid” are the variables that need to be used to merge together the TLSS07 and TLSS09 data. Variable “hhid” in the TLSS07 data is unique to the TLSS07 data and can be used to merge together the data files from the TLSS07 survey. Variable „HHID” in the TLSS09 data is unique to the TLSS09 data and can be used to merge together the data files from the TLSS09 data.
In receiving these data it is recognized that the data are supplied for use within your organization, and you agree to the following stipulations as conditions for the use of the data:
1. The data are supplied solely for the use described in this form and will not be made available to other organizations or individuals. Other organizations or individuals may request the data directly.
2. Three copies of all publications, conference papers, or other research reports based entirely or in part upon the requested data will be supplied to:
3. The researcher will refer to the 2009 Tajikistan Living Standards Survey as the source of the information in all publications, conference papers, and manuscripts. At the same time, GOSKOMSTAT is not responsable for the estimations reported by the analyst(s).
4. Users who download the data may not pass the data to third parties.
5. The database cannot be used for commercial ends, nor can it be sold.
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged by including a citation which would include:
- Identification of the Primary Investigator
- Title of the survey (including the year of implementation)
- Survey reference number
- Source and date of download
Tajikistan State Statistical Agency. Tajikistan Living Standards Survey (TLSS) 2009. Ref. TJK_2009_TLSS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from www.microdata.worldbank.org on [date]
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.
LSMS Data Manager
The World Bank
World Bank, Development Economics Data Group
Production of metadata
- v02 (August 2016)
- The survey title changed to Tajikistan Living Standards Survey (TLSS) to match the questionnaire and documented ECAPOVs
- Study ID changed from TJK_2009_LSMS_v01_M to TJK_2009_TLSS_v01_M