301. Have there been any deaths in this household since 1 January 2009?
 1 Yes, how many?
 1 person
 2 persons
 More than 3 persons (use additional SP2010-C1 questionnaire)
 2 No
NIU (not in universe)
Warning: these figures indicate the number of cases found in the data file. They cannot be interpreted as summary statistics of the population of interest.
Question 301: Deaths since 1 January 2009
Interview procedure regarding deaths:
1. Before beginning to ask the questions, begin with a brief statement, for example: "Now I will ask you about deaths that have occurred in this household during the last year and a half. Please call to mind whether or not there were any deaths among any members of this household during the last year and a half, that is, since 1 January 2009 until now.
2. If someone has died since 1 January 2009, ask: "How many have died and what are their names?" Then put a mark in Q301 for the answer "Yes", and write the number of deaths. Record the name of each person who died in Q302, with one name per Column, following the order given by the respondent. After the respondent mentions one name, ask: "Are there more?"
Continue in this manner so that the names of those who died during this period will be complete before going on to another question regarding each of these deaths. Calculate the number of names recorded and make sure that number agrees with the number recorded for the answer to Q301 about the number of deaths.
For example, the respondent mentions 2 names, that is, Amir and Badu, then record Amir in the first column of Q302 and Badu in the second column. In Q301 mark the answer 2 people.
3. Continue to ask about every death; begin with the name recorded in the first column and ask
Q303 Q305. Example:
Q303: "Now I will ask several questions about each person who died or about the late [Amir, for example). What was the sex of (Amir)?"
Q304": "What month and year did (Amir) die?"
Q305: "How old was (Amir) when he died?"
4. Put a mark in the oval for Q306 according to the answers given for Q303 and Q305. If any of those who died were "female" and "10 years of age or older", mark code 1; for any other answer mark code 2.
5. If Q306 has a code 1 ask Q307. Then if Q307 has a code 1, directly fill in Q308.
6. Continue to the next death if there is one; if there aren't any more, then continue to Block IV.
When asking Q303 Q308 the enumerator may not move to the right to record answers or ask one question about the first person who died, then the second person who died, and so on, but must ask all questions about the first person who died and then ask all of the questions about the second person who died and so on.
Deaths recorded do not include babies who were stillborn (those who died in the uterus before being born, that is died without any sign of life such as crying, having a pulse, reflexes, movement and pale skin tone, at 22 weeks or more).
If the total number of deaths since 1 January 2009 is more than 3 persons, enter this in the box provided and to enter the information about the deaths of persons 4 and so on, use a new set of form C1. For example, if the total number of deaths is 5 persons, the method of recording this is:
1. Put a mark in Q301 for the answer "Yes" and enter the number "5"in the box on the main set of Form C1 and enter 2 on the additional set of form C1.
2. Write 3 names on the main set of Form C1 and 2 names on the additional set of Form C1.
3. Follow the instructions for entering the total number of sets on the cover page.
4. On the second set (the additional set) fill in the complete identification information.
This variable indicates if a death occurred in the household since January 1, 2009.