For persons age 5 or older
[Questions 209-214 were asked of persons aged 5+.)
212. What is the schooling status of [the respondent]?
 1 Never/not yet attending school (go to Q214)
 2 Attending school
 3 No longer attending school
No/never went to school
No longer attending school
NIU (not in universe)
Warning: these figures indicate the number of cases found in the data file. They cannot be interpreted as summary statistics of the population of interest.
Household members 5 years and older
Questions 209 through 214 are asked only to those household members who are 5 years old or older. See Q204; if the age is 05, 06, 07? 98, then continue the interview with Q209 through Q214. If Q204 has entries 00, 01, 02, 03, or 04, then the interview with this household member is complete and Q209 through Q221 should be left blank. The interview should continue with the next household member.
Question 212: Schooling Status
Ask the schooling status of the household member and make a mark in the oval corresponding to the respondent's answer. If the household member has never or not yet attended school, then make a mark for code 1 and go directly to question to 214. If the respondent's answer is code 2 (still attending school) or 3 (no longer attending school), then continue the interview with the next question (Q213).
1. Never/not yet attended school is the schooling status of someone who has never ever attended school, including those who have finished or have not yet finished kindergarten but have not yet entered Elementary school.
2. Attending school is the schooling status for the persons who are registered and actively attending a level of formal education.
3. No longer attending school is the schooling status of a person who has ever registered and actively attended a formal level of education but at the time of the enumeration is no longer registered and attending a formal level of education.
1. University students who are currently on vacation from school are considered still attending school.
2. Elementary, junior and senior high school students who have just been promoted to the next level at the time of the enumeration are considered still attending school.
3. Those who are currently attending an A/B/C program package or equivalent are considered no longer attending school.
4. A Diploma I program which is included in the criteria for attending school is only the diploma program in a formal level of education which is managed by an institution of higher learning.
This variable indicates the person's school attendance status.