For all persons born in 1971 or before
[Questions 14-17 were asked of all persons born in 1971 or before]
14. Type of activity last week
What did the person do last week? Cash work or other work.
If no work, what was the reason? Looking for work, not looking, housewife, student, pensioner, too old, disabled, etc.
Looking for work
Not looking for work
NIU (not in universe)
Warning: these figures indicate the number of cases found in the data file. They cannot be interpreted as summary statistics of the population of interest.
Question 14 - Type of activity last week
142. "What did this person do last week?"
143. A person either worked last week or did not.
144. By work we mean any activity concerned with providing the necessities of life for the person or the person's family or household. The question applies to women as well as men.
145. Anyone who was active last week, in any way, in providing for themselves or the household worked. It does not matter whether they had a job or were paid for what they did. A person who farmed, fished, cut copra, looked after livestock, replaced thatch on a roof, or cultivated in a vegetable garden worked. So did a person who was in paid employment.
146. Those who worked fall into two categories for the purposes of the census -- those who worked mainly for money last week and those who provided for themselves in other ways.
Cash work: A person who was employed last week or who worked mainly for cash is a cash worker. Such a person may have had a paid job or may have worked on his or her own account making, growing, or selling things for money.
Other work: Many people provide for themselves or their families in other ways than by working for cash. Such people may perform a variety of tasks in growing, gathering produce, or fishing to feed their families and may sell some produce. But such people are not mainly working to sell produce for cash.
147. A person may have combined cash work and other last week. In such cases write "cash work".
148. A person may not have worked last week because he or she was temporarily absent from work by reason of being on holiday, sickness, or for some other reason. In such cases ask about the person's normal activity. A teacher on holiday, for example, may not have been teaching last week because the schools were closed. Such people should be regarded as having worked.
149. If a person did no work, ask: "What was the reason?"
150. There are many reasons why a person may have done no work last week. Those which are most important to the census are:
Looking for work: This applies to people who would have worked, who wanted to work and who actively looked for work last week. The test is, "Did this person do anything about finding work?"
Not looking for work: This category applies to those of working age who were capable of working but who did no work last week and did nothing about finding work, either because they knew there were no jobs available or because they did not want to work. The test is, 'Did this person do anything to provide for himself or herself?' If he or she did so, enter "cash work" or "other work" as appropriate. Only if the person did nothing last week and was dependent upon others for food or shelter should you enter "Not looking".
Housewife: This applies to those who did not work last week and were occupied with purely domestic duties around the house. Many housewives combine domestic duties with working outside the house -- in the garden, collecting food, or in paid employment. In such cases you should write "cash work" or "other work" as appropriate.
Student: If the person is attending school, a training course, or a university full-time, write "Student". Full-time students will be on holiday at the time of the census and some may have worked last week but for the purpose of the census such people should be entered as "Student".
Other: There are other reasons why a person may have done no work last week. Ask and record the reason -- 'too old', 'disabled', 'pensioner', 'patient', or as the case may be.
This variable indicates the type of activity the person was doing the week before the Census.
Persons born in 1971 or before.
Work Variables -- PERSON