For all women born in 1971 or before
[Questions 18-22 were asked of all women born in 1971 or before]
21. When was the last child born?
NIU (not in universe)
Warning: these figures indicate the number of cases found in the data file. They cannot be interpreted as summary statistics of the population of interest.
176. The next set of questions, 18 to 22, applies to all women born in 1971 or before.
177. An answer is required of all women in this category whether or not they are married, whether or not they are still attending school, and whether or not you think they may have borne children.
178. If the person is male or is a girl born 1972 to 1986, write 'N/A' on line 18 and leave the rest of the column blank.
179. If possible speak to the woman herself. She will know about the children she has borne and will be able to answer the questions more accurately than anyone else.
180. The census is concerned with all the children a woman has borne. Include children who have grown up and left home, children borne by the woman to other men as well as to her present husband, her children who are living away from home and children who have died even if they died shortly after birth. Be careful to include very young babies.
181. Do not include adopted children, step children or children who may be staying in the household but were not borne by the woman herself.
182. We are concerned with the number of children the woman has borne alive. '0' is a number. If the appropriate number on any line is '0', then write '0'. Do not leave lines blank and do not use any other symbol.
183. A child born alive is one who cries after being born. The census is concerned with children born alive. Do not include still births -- that is, children who did not cry.
184. Ask, "Has this woman borne any children?"
185. If the woman has never borne any children alive, write '0' for boys and '0' for girls.
186. If the woman has borne a child or children, ask: "How many were with her on census night?"
187. Write the number of boys and the number of girls who were in this household on census night on line 18. If the answer is 'none', write '0' in the appropriate box.
188. "How many were elsewhere on census night?"
189. Write the number of boys and the number of girls whom the woman has borne who were not in the household on census night. If the answer is 'none', write '0' in the appropriate box.
190. "How many have died?"
191. Write the number of boys and girls whom the woman has borne alive but who have since died. If the answer is 'none', write '0' in the appropriate box.
192. You have recorded details of all the children the woman has borne alive. You are next required to record particulars of her most recent live birth -- that is, of the last child she had borne alive.
193. "When was the last child born?"
194. Whenever possible record the day, month and year.
195. If the day is not known, record at least the month and year for all children born between 1980 and 1986 even if it takes time to establish the month by questioning the mother and other members of the household.
196. For children born before 1980 it will be enough to record the year of birth.
197. "Is the child still alive?"
198. Write 'yes' or 'no' as appropriate.
This variable indicates the month when the last child born alive was born.
Females born in 1971 or before who ever had children
Fertility and Mortality Variables -- PERSON