For all persons
[Questions 1-13 were asked of all persons]
6. Marital status
Never married, married, widowed, divorced or separated
Divorced or separated
Warning: these figures indicate the number of cases found in the data file. They cannot be interpreted as summary statistics of the population of interest.
Question 6 - Marital status
98. "Is this person married?"
99. For persons who have never been married, including children, write "NM".
100. People living together as man and wife should be shown as married whether or not they have been through any civil or religious ceremonies. The census is not concerned with who is legally married and who is not. Accept the answer as it is given to you.
101. Widowed is for a person, male or female, who has been married but whose spouse has died and who has not remarried at the time of the census.
102. Separated or divorced is for a person who has been married but who has divorced or separated and is living as such at the time of the census. Accept the answer as it is given you.
103. You may use the following abbreviations:
NM - for never married
M - for married
WID - for widowed
SEP - for separated
DIV - for divorced
This variable indicates the person's marital status.
Demographic Variables -- PERSON