For all persons
[Questions 1-13 were asked of all persons]
7. Real father
Alive or dead
Warning: these figures indicate the number of cases found in the data file. They cannot be interpreted as summary statistics of the population of interest.
Question 7 - Real father
104. "Is this person's real father alive?"
105. Write "Alive" or "Dead" in respect of the person's real, natural father. (Not a father who may have adopted the person being enumerated)
106. "Is this person's real mother alive?"
107. Write "Alive" or "Dead" in respect of the person's real mother, that is, the woman who bore him/her. (Not a mother who may have adopted the person being enumerated)
108. If the person's real mother is alive, ask: "Was this person's mother in the household on census night?"
109. If the answer is "Yes" and the person's real mother was present in the household, write the mother's person number. (If, for example, the person's real mother was present and her particulars are recorded in column 2, write her person number '2'). This allows 'mothers' and their 'own children' to be linked by person number in the one household.
110. If the person's mother was not in the household but was somewhere else, write "Not Present" which you may shorten to "NP".
This variable indicates whether or not the person's father is alive.
Fertility and Mortality Variables -- PERSON