The Living Standards Measurement Study (LSMS) was established by the World Bank's Development Research Group (DECRG) to explore ways of improving the type and quality of household data collected by statistical offices in developing countries. The goal is to foster increased use of household data as a basis for policy decisionmaking.
The first two LSMS surveys were fielded in Cote d'Ivoire in 1985 and in Peru in 1985-1986 and sponsored by the World Bank. Since then LSMS have been conducted in different countries around the world.
The Living Standards Measurement Survey (LSMS) is a multi-purpose household survey conducted to measure living conditions and poverty situation, and to help policymakers in monitoring and developing social programs.
LSMS has been carried out in Albania in the context of continuing monitoring of poverty and the creation of policy evaluation system in the framework of the National Strategy for Development and Integration (previously the National Strategy for Economic and Social Development).
The first Albania LSMS was conducted in 2002, followed by 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2008 surveys. In 2008, 3,600 households participated in the survey.
Kind of Data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Unit of Analysis
- Households: demographic characteristics, education, communication, labor, employment, non-farm business, migration, remittances, subjective poverty, health, fertility, non-food expenditures, dwelling, utilities, durable goods, daily food consumption
- Community: infrastructure and transportation, access to public services, education, sewer and garbage, organizations, collective actions, safety, migration, Albanian Development Fund
Producers and sponsors
Institute of Statistics of Albania
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
LSMS Data Manager
The World Bank
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Institute of Statistics of Albania. Albania Living Standards Measurement Survey (LSMS) 2008, Ref. ALB_2008_LSMS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [URL] on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.
DDI Document ID
Development Data Group
The World Bank
Documentation of the study
Date of Metadata Production
DDI Document version
v01 (February 2014)