The World Bank Group Country Opinion Survey Program systematically measures and tracks the perceptions of the World Bank's clients, partners, and other stakeholders across the globe in client countries. The Public Opinion Research Group surveyed 29 countries in FY2012 (July 2011-June 2012), 41 countries in FY2013 (July 2012-June 2013), 42 countries in FY2014 (July 2013-June 2014), 35 countries in FY2015 (July 2014-June 2015), 45 countries in FY2016 (July 2015-June 2016), and 35 countries in FY2017 (July 2016-June 2017). In FY2018, surveys were conducted in 39 countries. Nearly all of the World Bank Group's client countries are surveyed in every three year cycle.
The Country Opinion Survey in Cambodia assists the World Bank Group (WBG) in gaining a better understanding of how stakeholders in Cambodia perceive the WBG. It provides the WBG with systematic feedback from national and local governments, multilateral/bilateral agencies, media, academia, the private sector, and civil society in Cambodia on:
1) Their views regarding the general environment in Cambodia;
2) Their overall attitudes toward the WBG in Cambodia;
3) Overall impressions of the WBG’s effectiveness and results, knowledge work and activities, and communication and information sharing in Cambodia; and
4) Their perceptions of the WBG’s future role in Cambodia.
Kind of Data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Unit of Analysis
Stakeholders of the World Bank Group in Cambodia.
v01, edited anonymous dataset for public distribution
Coding schemes of output data:
- Single-choice questions: Response options are coded according to corresponding numbers in the questionnaire.
- Multiple-choice questions: When a response option is checked, it is coded as "1," when a response option is not checked, it is coded as "0."
- 10-point scale questions: "1" corresponds to the lowest value, "10" corresponds to the highest value. "Don't know" is coded as "11."
- Yes/No questions: "Yes" is coded as "1," "No" is coded as "2."
The scope of the study includes:
- General Issues Facing Cambodia
- Overall Attitudes toward the World Bank Group
- World Bank Group’s Effectiveness and Results
- The World Bank Group’s Knowledge Work and Activities
- Working with the World Bank Group
- The Future Role of the World Bank Group in Cambodia
- Communication and Information Sharing
- Background Information
Phnom Penh, Other urban areas and Rural areas.
Opinion leaders from national and local governments, multilateral/bilateral agencies, media, academia, the private sector, and civil society.
Producers and sponsors
Public Opinion Research Group
World Bank Group
World Bank Group
From March to May 2018, 397 stakeholders of the WBG in Cambodia were invited to provide their opinions on the WBG’s work in the country by participating in a Country Opinion Survey. Participants were drawn from the Office of the President, Prime Minister; office of a Minister; office of a Parliamentarian; ministries/ministerial departments/implementation agencies; Project Management Units (PMUs) overseeing implementation of WBG projects; consultants/ contractors working on WBG-supported projects/programs; local governments; bilateral and multilateral agencies; private sector organizations; private foundations; the financial sector/ private banks; NGOs and community-based organizations; the media; independent government institutions; trade unions; faith-based groups; youth groups; academia/research institutes/think tanks; the judiciary branch; and other organizations.
The results in this year’s Country Survey were compared to those in the Country Survey conducted in FY’15 (response rate was 40%, N=156). Data were weighted to reach the same stakeholder composition in both years, which allows for year comparisons. Stakeholder groups which were not present in both fiscal years were not included in the comparison. Respondents who belonged to the “other” stakeholder category were not included either. As a result, mean ratings, percentages of respondents, and the total number of respondents in both years are slightly different from those of the original data reported in the FY’15 COS report and the non-weighted data presented in appendices A, B, C, and E. For the weighted stakeholder breakdown and year comparison results, please refer to Appendix D (Report, page 87) in the Related Materials.
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
Data Collection Notes
Via Courier and face to face.
Nuppun Institute for Economic Research
The questionnaire is in English and Khmer. The English version is provided as related material.
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Public Opinion Research Group (The World Bank Group). Cambodia- World Bank Group Country Survey (WBCS) 2018, Ref. KHM_2018_WBCS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [url] on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.
DDI Document ID
Development Data Group
The World Bank Group
The World Bank Group
Date of Metadata Production
DDI Document version
- Version 01 (September 2018)
- Version 02 (August 2019). This version is identical to version 01, except for the section on Series Information which was updated.