Education Attainment and Enrollment Around the World 1989-2008, An International Database
An International Database
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Central African Republic
Congo, Dem. Rep.
Egypt, Arab Rep.
Papua New Guinea
Kind of Data
Aggregate data [agg]
This is the first release of an international database with summary information on education attainment and enrollment derived from household surveys from around the developing world.
The database contains the following indicators:
- Percentage of the population ages 15 to 19 that has completed each grade (grades 1 to 9);
- Percentage of the population ages 20 to 29 that has completed each grade (grades 1 to 9);
- Percentage of the population ages 30 to 39 that has completed each grade (grades 1 to 9);
- Percentage of the population ages 40 to 49 that has completed each grade (grades 1 to 9);
- Median grade attained by the population ages 15 to 19;
- Survival function estimates of the proportion of the population ages 6 to 19 that has completed each grade;
- Percentage of the population ages 6 to 17, by age in single years, that has ever attended school;
- Percentage of the population ages 6 to 17, by age in single years, that is currently in school;
- Percentage of the population ages 6 to 11 (as a group) that is currently in school;
- Percentage of the population ages 12 to 14 (as a group) that is currently in school;
- Percentage of the population ages 6 to 14 (as a group) that is currently in school.
- Concentration index (and its standard error) of the percentage of the population ages 15 to 19 that has completed grade 6.
- Concentration index (and its standard error) of the percentage of the population ages 6 to 14 that is currently in school.
Each indicator (except the concentration indexes) is calculated for a variety of subgroups within the population. These are:
- Rural and Urban;
- Male and Female;
- Rural/Urban and Male/Female interacted;
- Poverty Quintiles (poorest quintile, quintiles 2, 3, 4 and richest quintile) with welfare rankings derived from an index of consumer durables and housing characteristics;
- Poverty Groups (Poorest 40 percent; Middle 40 percent; Richest 20 percent) with welfare rankings derived from an index of consumer durables and housing characteristics;
- The interaction of Poverty Groups and Male/Female
For surveys with a consumption-expenditures aggregate variable that can be used to rank households (i.e. the Integrated Household Surveys), the following indicators are also calculated:
- Expenditure Poverty Quintiles (poorest quintile, quintiles 2, 3, 4 and richest quintile) with welfare rankings derived from per capita household consumption-expenditures;
- Expenditure Poverty Groups (Poorest 40 percent; Middle 40 percent; Richest 20 percent) with welfare rankings derived from per capita household consumption-expenditures;
- The interaction of Expenditure Poverty Groups and Male/Female
The database includes datsa from the following countries:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Brazil (NE & SE)
- Brazil, Northeast
- Burkina Faso
- China (9 Provinces)
- Congo Rep.
- Costa Rica
- Cote d'Ivoire
- DR Congo
- Dominican Rep.
- Kyrgyz Rep.
- Lao PDR
- Marshall Isls.
- Papua New Guinea
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- Timor Leste
Producers and sponsors
Deon P. Filmer
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
Data Collection Notes
The household survey data sets used to generate the summary statistics are:
- Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS) (http://www.measuredhs.com);
- the Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys (MICS2) (http://www.childinfo.org);
- the Living Standards Measurement Study Surveys (LSMS) (http://www.worldbank.org/lsms);
- other country-specific Integrated Household Surveys (IHS) such as Socio-Economic Surveys.
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Deon Filmer. Education Attainment and Enrollment around the World: An International Database (EAEAW) 2010. Ref. WLD_2008_EAEAW_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from http://microdata.worldbank.org on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.
DDI Document ID
Date of Metadata Production
DDI Document version
DDI Document - Version 02 - (04/21/21)
This version is identical to DDI_WLD_2008_EAEAW_v01_M but country field has been updated to capture all the countries covered by survey.