Peru Investment Climate Survey 2002 was carried out between July and November 2002. It covered a stratified sample of 576 manufacturing firms.
The Investment Climate Surveys (ICS) were conducted by the World Bank and its partners across all geographic regions and covered firms of all sizes in many industries. The ICS collected a wide array of qualitative and quantitative information through face-to-face interviews with managers and owners regarding the investment climate in their country and the productivity of their firms. Topics covered in the ICS included the obstacles to doing business, infrastructure, finance, labor, corruption and regulation, contract enforcement, law and order, innovation and technology, and firm productivity. Taken together, the qualitative and quantitative data helped connect a country’s investment climate characteristics with firm productivity and performance.
Firm-level surveys have been administered since 1998 by different units within the World Bank. Since 2005-06, most data collection efforts have been centralized within the Enterprise Analysis Unit (FPDEA). Enterprise Surveys, a replacement for Investment Climate Surveys, are now conducted by the Enterprise Analysis Unit.
Kind of data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Producers and sponsors
Corporación Andina de Fomento
The survey covered a stratified sample of 576 firms in eight regions and ten sectors. Ancash, Arequipa, Ica, La Libertad, Lima and Callao, Piura, Puno, and Ucayali were the regions surveyed. The ten sectors and their respective ISIC-Rev 3 codes (in parenthesis) were: Food processing (1512, 1513), Textiles (171, 172), Garments (1810, 1820), Shoes (1920), Wood (2010), Chemicals (241, 242), Plastics (252), Metal Products (2811), Furniture (3610), and Other Manufacturing (3691, 3699). Firms were divided into five categories: micro (less than ten employees), Small (10-20 employees), Medium (21-49 employees), Large (50-99 employees) and Extra Large (100+).
The firm population distribution and sample were drawn from a comprehensive list of firms provided by the Ministry of Industry, Tourism, Integration and International Trade Negotiations (MITINCI).
The sample was constructed following a stratification by size, sector and location. Different probabilities of being selected were first assigned to firms classified in each of the four size categories, where the probabilities were inversely related to the number of firms in each category. This was done independently for every region. Different probabilities were used for Lima and Callao to account the high concentration of firms in that region. Once the total number of firms per size category was calculated, a second adjustment was applied, this time to take into account an expected high probability that entrepreneurs would decline being interviewed. These two adjustments give a sample distributed across all eight regions (and sizes), where Lima and Callao accounted for 70 percent of the total sample and the remaining regions for 30 percent. A third and final step was to distribute the sub-sample across sectors for each region. This sector distribution followed the population distribution pattern inside each region.
Dates of collection
Mode of data collection
The current survey instrument is available:
- Investment Climate Survey Questionnaire.
Confidentiality of the survey respondents and the sensitive information they provide is necessary to ensure the greatest degree of survey participation, integrity and confidence in the quality of the data. Surveys are usually carried out in cooperation with business organizations and government agencies promoting job creation and economic growth, but confidentiality is never compromised.
Firm-level data is available to the public free-of-charge. In order to access the data, users must agree to abide by a strict confidentiality agreement available through Enterprise Analysis Unit website by clicking on "External users register here" at https://www.enterprisesurveys.org/Portal
Where necessary please site the source as "Enterprise Analysis Unit - World Bank Group https://www.enterprisesurveys.org"
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.