Now I would like to ask you some questions about your dwelling. By dwelling I mean all the rooms and all the separate buildings used by your household.
1. What type of building is the main house in which your household lives?
A city house surrounded by a garden
A city house surrounded by a garden building with private bathroom/kitchen/toilet
Multi-storied house or apartment in multi-storied building with separate bath/kitchen/toilet
Permanent one-story house or apartment with private bath/kitchen/toilet
Permanent one-story house or apartment with separate bath/kitchen/toilet
Semi- permanent house
Warning: these figures indicate the number of cases found in the data file. They cannot be interpreted as summary statistics of the population of interest.
The interviewer does not have to ask this question but rather observe the main house
and determine to which type it belongs and record the result.
Types of house are determined as follows:
- “City house surrounded by a garden” is a permanent, one storey or many storey
building, the kitchen and bathroom/toilet are attached to the main house, it has a
garden and is surrounded by a fence or a wall.
- “Multi-storied house or apartment in multi-storied building with private
bathroom/kitchen/toilet” is a permanent high building or apartments in high buildings,
it has the private facilities for the family.
- “Multi-storied house or apartment in multi-storied building with separate
bath/kitchen/toilet” is a permanent high building or rooms in a high building with
facilities shared with other households,
- “Permanent one-storey house or apartment with private bath/kitchen/toilet” is a house
or one floor permanent apartment with toilet/kitchen facilities attached to the house.
- “Permanent one-story house or apartment with separate bath/kitchen/toilet” is
different from the above in that it has no facilities attached to the house.
- “Semi-permanent house” is a constructed house with lower quality construction and
shorter life than the permanent house (about 20 years), including houses with
constructed or wooden walls and tile or galvanised steel sheet roof (or equivalent
- “Temporary house and other types” is those which do not belong to the above
mentioned groups. These types are usually built with simple structural materials, they
may be tents, sheds, shacks, space underneath the bridge, container boxes.