Only for persons 12 years of age and older
[Questions 15 to 18 were asked of persons age 12 and older]
Ask the questions on lines 16 through 18 only if you marked boxes 1, 2 or 3.
[Questions 16 to 18 were asked of persons who have a job or who had it in the past]
18. What is the category or position you held in the performance of your work?
 1 Employer or boss
 2 Own-account worker
 3 (White-collar) Employee
 4 Manual laborer or day laborer
 5 Unpaid family worker
Owner or boss
White collar (employee, clerk or manager)
Blue collar (manual laborer) or day laborer
Unpaid family worker
NIU (not in universe)
Warning: these figures indicate the number of cases found in the data file. They cannot be interpreted as summary statistics of the population of interest.
IV. Information about the Population
C. Economic characteristics.
18. Category or position that the person had in the exercise of his/her occupation
* Employer or owner: This is the person who exploits his/her own economic business or practices a profession or occupation, having paid workers (without including domestic employees).
* Self-employed worker: the person who exploits his/her own economic business or who practices profession or occupation on his/her own account and who does not have any paid employee or worker.
* Employee: the person in whose occupation the intellectual force predominates over the physical; and who works for payment, salary or commission, for an owner or employee (whether public or private).
The following are employees: the managers, directors, secretaries, office personnel, etc.
* Worker or laborer: the person who does an occupation that is predominately physical, for daily wages, monthly pay, weekly pay, by contract, for tips, or payment in kind.
The following are workers: construction laborers, overseers, patio or ranch hands, domestic employees, milkers, chauffeurs, etc.
* Unpaid family worker: this is the person who works at least two day a week in a business or company exploited by a relative, without receiving payment.
Once you have finished taking all of the information for all of the persons indicated in parte IV of the Census form and according the ages that correspond, verify that you have not omitted any person (specially the small children) or if you have passed any question without asking it.
If the household has more than 9 members, mark the box that says continued placed on the form at the foot of the 9th person and use another form.
Then, fill in the box that says Summary and that is placed on the front part of the form.
18. What is the category or position that he/she had in the exercise of his/her occupation?
 1 Employer or boss
 2 Self-employed worker
 3 Employee
 4 Laborer or day laborer
 5 Un-paid family worker
This variable indicates the person's status in his or her current or last job. That is, whether he or she was the owner or boss, an own-account worker, an employee, a laborer, etc.
Persons age 12+ who have a job or who had it in the past