WRITE CODES OF FINANCING METHODS IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE
Sale of assets
Mortgage of assets
Mortgage of land
Warning: these figures indicate the number of cases found in the data file. They cannot be interpreted as summary statistics of the population of interest.
Treatment of serious medical conditions can be very costly to the household. This question is designed to capture ways that households have of financing the costs of medical treatment, in order of importance.
- SAVINGS means that the household used cash on hand to pay some or all of treatment costs.
- SALE OF ASSETS means that the household had to sell durables or other assets to pay for treatment costs.
- UNSECURED LOANS means borrowing money without collateral.
- MORTGAGE OF ASSETS means that the household borrowed money using household durables or other assets (excluding land) as collateral. This category also includes pawning durables or assets.
- MORTGAGE OF LAND means that the household uses land as collateral.
- ASSISTANCE means that some relative, other person, or agency/organization simply gives the household some or all of the money to pay for medical treatment.