Total agricultural land rented / sharecropped out (in ACRES)
Questions 1-5. Ask the respondent about land owned, taken in, or given out, under various types of contractual arrangements by all members of the household. If different amounts of land were rented in or out, etc., over the course of the past year, refer to the most recent agricultural season. If the respondent lists all the plots, help him/her to calculate total area.
- RENTED IN / SHARECROPPED IN. The household operates the plot for a specified period of time and pays to the landlord a fixed amount, in cash or in-kind, or if the household operates the plot and gives the landlord a share of the crops harvested in return.
- MORTGAGED IN. The household operates the plot in return for a loan it made to the land owner.
- WAGE PAYMENT IN. Land received from the landlord for cultivation in lieu of wage payments (i.e. received as part of payment from the landlord).
- RENTED OUT / SHARECROPPED OUT means the plot was given to another household to operate in return for a fixed sum, either cash or in-kind, or was given to another household to operate in return for a share of the crops harvested.
- MORTGAGED OUT means the plot was given to another household to operate in return for a loan. (In this case, if the amount is still outstanding, be sure you include the amount in Section 8).
- WAGE PAYMENT OUT. Land given out to long term agriculture workers for cultivation in lieu of wage payments (i.e. given out as part of payment to the worker).
Record the size of the land in acres, using upto 2 decimal places as necessary. Often, the respondent may report area of land in other units such as bighas, kathas, etc., in which case the interview should convert the area reported into acres as appropriate.